Future AU. After a seeing-stone washes up on the shores of Ealdor, the last Island left after the great floods and rising Ocean, Merlin sees their salvation - a Sky City named Camelot. When he wakes up on the shores of the Sky City, Merlin starts to realise the New World is nothing as it was fabled. It is then that Merlin begins his journey to meet the 'dragon' that called him there, realising that nothing in Camelot is what it seems. Together they begin a revolution against a blind king and the foundations the New World was built on, uncovering even deeper secrets that were thought to be buried with the Old World when the land sunk.
Arthur/Merlin (with Balinor/Hunith and Uther/Ygraine)
Character death (mostly minor, but includes a known character who dies in canon and a child), torture, flooded-world scenario (&associated issues e.g. refugee camps, starvation etc.), sort-of-slavery, intoxication (leading to what some might consider dub-con, though it's not intended as such)
Because, honestly, this wouldn't be here without the wonderful people who helped me. You guys have no idea how grateful to you I am!
- My amazing cheerleader moonilicious who never once let me think about quitting and was always there when I needed her!
- My beta who is literally a saint. cutsycat stepped in 5 days before posting due to unforeseen problems, so any remaining errors are completely my own. THANK YOU SO MUCH.
- The background team of helpers who listened to me moan day in day out and didn't say a word. While it's a large list, the people who were there at the drop of a pin I need to give extra love - tx_minion and wovenwater
- To the_muppet for going above and beyond duty and making this an incredibly fun challenge! thank you!
- I need to say a massive, massive thank you to theywerecones for being both such a pleasure to work with and a fantastic artist. I couldn't have asked for half of what she's drawn for our story and honestly cannot thank her enough.
This was an idea spawned from the book Exodus by Julie Bertagna. While it's deviated massively from the plot of the book, I still owe it a great deal.
| Part One | Part Two | Part Three | Part Four | Part Five | Part Six | Part Seven | Part Eight | Part Nine |
| Part Ten | Part Eleven | Part Twelve | Part Thirteen | Part Fourteen | Part Fifteen | Part Sixteen |
| On AO3 |
| PDF |
Thank you again for everyone who's supported this story. I hope you enjoy it!